MPH Travel Award: Global Health Programs Office, School of Medicine
Each year, the Perelman School of Medicine's Global Health Programs (GHP) office awards up to 5 MPH students* with funds to assist in traveling as part of their capstone or fieldwork.
In order to apply for travel funding from the GHP office, the following criteria must be met:
- The funding must be to support travel fora global health-relevant capstone or fieldwork
- Travel for capstone or fieldwork must be approved by the MPH program administration, MPH global health track faculty, and capstone mentor or fieldwork administrator
- Length of travel must be at least 4 weeks and cannot be to a country on the State Dept. Travel Warning list. Successful applicants must comply with preparation and travel requirements as listed below from the Global Health Programs office.
To be considered for an award, you must submit an application to the MPH office by the cycle deadline (December 1st or March 1st). Applications will be review by the MPH program office and faculty from the global health track. Students will be notified if they are selected for a competitive travel award within 3-4 weeks of the application deadlines.
Requirements from the Global Health Programs Office:
Once notified by the MPH program of your selection, you must meet the following requirements:
- GHP Registration Form (includes requirement for mentor/supervisor documentation)
- Student Health Service Form
- Global Activities Registry
- International SOS information review/card printout
- Enrollment in the U of Penn’s Direct Deposit system
More information about the five items above and downloadable forms can be found in the pre-travel section of our forms page: www.med.upenn.edu/globalhealth/gheforms.shtml
When all documents have been submitted and approved by the Global Health Programs office, you will receive confirmation of your travel award via email. Students are not eligible if they are receiving any other travel awards from the University. All documents and requirements but be completed at least 6 weeks prior to your departure date to be eligible for funding.
The amount awarded is based on geographical location and a list of funding amounts can be found at our website: www.med.upenn.edu/globalhealth/funding.shtml#awardlevel
To receive the last $500 of reimbursement, students will need to submit a 1-page statement to email@example.com covering the following:
- description of your global health activities and individuals/organizations you worked with
- personal accomplishments
- positives and negatives and recommendations for future students
* Please note that if a student is part of a dual degree program additional approval will be needed.